Saturday 19 February 2011

3SOURCES OF ASSOCIATIONS

there flow
simultaneously in man three kinds of associations—of thought, of feeling and of
mechanical instinct. Most important of all is that not only do the three kinds of independent
associations flow simultaneously, but also there participate in all of them the results of the
three sources found in man for the transformation of the three natures of so-called "cosmic
vivifyingness." These sources are located in man as follows: the first, in a
part of the brain, the second, in a part of the spinal column; and the third, in a part of the
solar plexus. These three kinds of associations in one man explain that peculiar sensation,
noticed at times by everyone, as though there were several beings living in him. Those
who wish to acquaint themselves more fully with these questions are advised to learn, that
is, not simply to read but to immerse themselves in, that chapter of the first series of my
writings entitled "The Holy Planet Purgatory." On reading over what has just been written,
there involuntarily arises in me the question as to which must appear to the reader more
fantastic: that which I myself have written, or the hypothesis of our distant ancestors which
I have cited. It seems to me that every reader on first comparing them will find the one as
bad as the other. A little later he will blame only me, that I, in spite of living in this period of
civilization, should write such nonsense. He will forgive the ancestors, however, as he is
able to put himself into their position, and with the reason proper to him will argue
approximately thus: "How were they to blame that in their time our civilization had not yet
existed? And once having become learned, they too had to occupy themselves with
something. And for a fact, at that time, not one electrical machine existed, even of the
simplest sort." Not having been able to restrain myself, and once again having bared one
of my weaknesses, consisting in, as is said, "cracking a joke" at the most serious
moments of my writings, I wish to take advantage of this incidental digression from the
basic theme to describe a very peculiar coincidence
which took place a few days ago, in connection with the writing of this last book of mine. In
connection with the writing of this book there have been, altogether, many coincidences,
seemingly very strange at first glance, but which on closer scrutiny have shown
themselves to be according to law. Of course I shall not write about all these coincidences,
as this would not be possible—I would probably have to write ten other books. However,
for a better characterization of these strange coincidences and the consequences which
have arisen from them, hindering the exposition of this book, I will depict, aside from the
just mentioned one which happened the day before yesterday, also the first, which took
place on November 6th, 1934, the first day of the recommencement of my writing. As I
have already said in the prologue, I decided, after a year's interruption in my writings, to
begin to write again on the 6th of November, that is, on that very day on which, seven
years before, I had decided once and for all to achieve without fail all the tasks required
for my being. On this day, happening to be in New York, I went early in the morning to the
Childs cafe situated at Columbus Circle, to which I went every morning for my writing. My
American acquaintances, by the way, call this Childs among themselves Café de la Paix,
because this cafe here in America has served me during the entire period of my writing
activity in the same way as the Parisian Café de la Paix. That morning I felt like a
"mettlesome horse" let loose after having been confined for many months in the stable.
Thoughts were "swarming" in me, chiefly those thoughts pertaining to the work.
Work went so well that by nine o'clock I had succeeded in writing about fifteen pages of
my notebook without a single correction. I probably succeeded so well because, although I
should not have allowed any active mentation to proceed in me, I must nevertheless
confess that during the last month I had not made much effort, and consequently had
considered, involuntarily and half automatically, how to begin this book, which will be not
only the last but also the "collected concluding" of all my w

No comments: